Monday 2 April 2018

Diwali, the festival of light

English:

Diwali, the festival of light.

Hello everybody and welcome back to my blog!

Today, I would like to share a couple of pictures that I took during Diwali, the festival of light, in Anantapur while volunteering. I obviously couldn't take many pictures because (a) I was busy having fun and (b) I didn't want my camera to be damanged with so much fire around!

Diwali is a festival celebrated by Hindus in October or November and it generally lasts for about 5 days. However, depending on the area, it might be shorter. During Diwali, besides eating sweets and lighting candles and fireworks, people use crackers and the city gets full of light as well as noise.

The festival of Diwali is not dediated solely to one God, but to a different one depending on the area and city where one is from. Nevertheless, the deity of properity and wealth, Lakshmi, is the main one in this festival.

Down below you will see some pictures I took in the campus where I was living in India during Diwali. A lot of people working for the Vicente Ferrer Foundation came that day and we had so much fun!


Spanish / Castellano:

Diwali, el festival de la luz.

¡Hola a todo el mundo y bienvenidos/as a mi blog!

Hoy me gustaría compartir un par de fotos que hice durante el festival de Diwali, el festival de la luz, en Anantapur mientras estaba haciendo un voluntariado allí. Obviamente no pude hacer muchas fotos porque (a) estaba demasiado ocupada pasándomelo bien y (b) me preocupaba que la cámara se me pudiera dañar con tanto fuego a mi alrededor.

Diwali es un festival celebrado por los/las hindúes en Octubre o Noviembre y dura generalmente cinco días. Sin embargo, dependiendo del lugar, puede que dure menos. Durante el festival de Diwali, además de comer dulces y encender velas y fuegos artificiales, la gente tira petardos y la ciudad se llena de luz y ruido.

El festival de Diwali no está dedicado solamente a un Dios, sino que puede dedicarse a diferentes dioses en función de la ciudad de donde uno/a sea. No obstante, la deidad de la prosperidad y la riqueza, Lakshmi, es la principal en este festival.

Aquí debajo podréis encontrar un par de fotos que hice en Diwali en el campus donde vivía en la India. Ese día vino mucha gente que trabaja para la Fundación Vicente Ferrer y ¡nos lo pasamos muy bien!





No comments:

Post a Comment